- This event has passed.
Islands Short Fiction Contest 2021
February 16 - March 31
Nanaimo Arts Council and Vancouver Island University, Department of Creative Writing and Journalism and Vancouver Island Regional Library present the Islands Short Fiction Contest.
Writers of all ages from Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands are welcome to submit Short Fiction of up to 2000 words. Deadline for submissions is 11:59 pm, March 31, 2021.
Winners share $2,200 in cash and prizes!
There are three categories, Junior, Youth and Adult.
Adult: Ages 19 and over. $20 per entry
First prize: $700 cash
Second: $400 cash
Third: $300 cash
Contest Rules and Submission Requirements
● Stories of up to 2000 words will be accepted. Entries over the word count will not be considered.
● This is a regional contest, limited to residents of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
● Your name MUST NOT be on any part of your submission except the entry form.
● Multiple entries are permitted, but adults must pay a separate $20 entry fee for each submission.
● Entries must not be previously published. Stories which have previously placed first, second, or third in the Islands Short Fiction Contest may not be entered again.
● Payment can be made on the NAC website via credit card or PayPal, or by cheque payable to The Nanaimo Arts Council. Adult entries will not be considered until payment is received.
● We prefer online entries (doc, docx or pdf formats only please) but will accept typewritten stories and cheques mailed to: The Nanaimo Arts Council, PO Box 401 Stn A, Nanaimo BC, V9R 5L3.
● Winners may be required to submit proof of identity and age in order to accept their prize.
● Deadline for submissions is March 31, 2021, at 11:59 pm.